Thursday 16 April 2009

ASIMOV SHAMES SELF WITH FILTH

It turns out Sci Fi hero Isaac Asimov wrote a story that he hated so much he prevented it from every being properly published. It was called The Portable Star and according to the man himself it was a raunch-fest the likes of which Jilly Cooper can only dream:

I am frequently asked which is my favorite story, but no one ever asks me which is my least favorite story... It is "The Portable Star" that I like the least and that I am even ashamed of. I wasn't aware of what I was doing when I wrote it, but on reading it after it was published it seemed to me that I was deliberately trying to put sex into it to try and keep up with a new trend.

In the August 1952 Startling, you see, Phil Farmer had published "The Lovers," which overnight catapulted him into science-fiction stardom. It had treated sex more openly than was customary in science fiction, and everyone started getting into the act. In "The Portable Star," I did, too, and I did it sleazily.

The only acceptable dimension to the mixing of sex and science fiction is the three-breasted alien in Total Recall. After that you're dealing with this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment